Monday, April 12, 2010

Kerala, India






Hot hot hot. Muggy muggy muggy. And stickly spectacular: white egrets and eagles chasing each other out of the natural pools and canals of brackish tidal water water meandering through and around this manmade island. This is the first time I've seen palm trees growing in the water: 2 - 3 feet of it. A few years ago someone dug up sand from the canals and made this island, which has become the base for a number of resorts: Poovar Island Resort, Isola di Cocco Ayurvedic Resort (where I am), Estuary Island Resort, etc. All more or less luxurious, but in this season, the "low" season prices are half what they are during the winter months, or high season. They are also down to bare bones personnel and I still haven't had hot water since I've been here, but there is AC, TV a minifridge and WiFi so it's great. Yesterday I went to the veggie and fruit stand and bought some fresh stuff which I'm going to give to the kitchen here so I will have something to eat besides overboiled beans, carrots, and cauliflower... yuck. But it's all very healthy and the other women here are all doing Ayurvedic cures and I've had my blood tested for $8.00. Everything great... a little high on the cholesterol 198... but what the heck, at my age.... yoga every morning for free on a platform overlooking the river... I love it here but I'm sort of getting anxious to get to Italy and see Eugenio and friends... I've been offered a number of properties to buy and if I was in the market this place would be a great investment. Kerala is very popular among wealthy Indians (who are now by far wealthier and better tourists than westerners....) and will only become more and more valuable... If anybody is interested I will send photos. Love to you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment